Posted on

Find the Out of Place Spider on the Dance Floor

This was the weirdest project I ever made. I took inspiration from two projects. One was a mountain drawing where you outlined the edges in a different color to make it look cool. The other one was a spiderweb-like pattern. My teacher said that for the mountain one as an example you could make a city instead. I was brainstorming random ideas and for some reason, the title of this blog post came into my head. I thought that I could make a “dance party” in the city, whence why in time there is a forever loop changing the background, and since Halloween is coming up why not add spiders and have them having their mini party on their web. Originally I wanted only one spider. I realized though if I made 60 I could make it into a game. One of my classmates made a where is Waldo themed name project where you would find the out of place thing.

I decided to do the same exact thing with a twist. It was a Halloween type twist. After multiple stages of troubleshooting my code, I was able to use a repeat block and have 1 spider be different and clearly out of place and have 59 others on the screen for you guys to choose from. The project I chose turned out to be more difficult than I expected and there were times I spent a lot of time on a small thing but after I finished, it felt good. I used a lot of Action Blocks in this project. When you click on the Start code you can tell I used a ton of those. I actually did not repeat the same exact thing though for multiple things so why did I use the action block. In reality, for me, it was to organize things. If everything is a mess I will mentally fall apart and I will not be able to troubleshoot things as well. That is the main reason why I used them a lot. I used them also because it is easier to explain things as well. The flashing background had to be made at the end because it was a forever block. If it was at the beginning none of the code would happen. I mean it would happen in “forever time”. The point is the rest of the code would not happen.

I started out by making a road on the bottom. That was relatively more simple because I just had to use a darker color and make that a road and use the fill command. Then I drew the buildings out and I completed the outline by going over the building again except with a thicker turtle that is black. The spiderweb was probably the easiest part. Even though it may look complicated, the way I make things like that is to look for weird repeat-related things. Play around with random shapes and lines until it looks really cool. It may look like some Mumbo-Jumbo at first but trust me keep playing with and eventually you will figure it out. That is more of an intuitive part of the process and it might become tedious but hopefully, you will find your weird pattern/ spiderweb eventually. This was the part where things got complicated. The legs action block was set to make the legs of the spiders. The one time I did not use an action block for something was the body of the spiders. After you make your spider repeat it 60 times in a certain coordinate range so it repeats all over the place and then all you need to do is make one different and you have to find that different spider. The background was pretty straight forward. I just set a forever loop to change the background color constantly. I used a set color range block and everything worked out. This was a very tough challenge but after putting enough effort and work into it I think I was able to put together a pretty cool design.

Though I struggled at some times I kept working through it and I figured it out. I also now have a weird obsession with action blocks even though they probably were not completely necessary for this project.